Thumbs up to the WBC

Posted By on March 10, 2009 9:51 pm

If you weren’t sold on the WBC, you should be after watching that Netherlands-Dominican Republic game tonight. You did watch, right?

I saw most of it. It was great theater.

As wonderful as the game was, I doubt it’s going to have much of an impact on most of the baseball fans in the country. Even those who do care about the WBC may not care enough to watch a team other than the U.S.

Personally, I like the WBC. I think it might just be that I like watching any meaningful baseball against a backdrop of spring training games where pitchers are jogging in the outfield during the game and half the players are on the golf course before the final out.

No, it’s no perfect. There are a lot of players who aren’t playing, leaving a lot of head-scratchers on the roster. (Are Ted Lilly and Jeremy Guthrie really two of the best four starting pitchers born in the US?) It’s also tough to find the right time of year to play it.

Still, it’s pretty cool to see a game like tonight. If you haven’t been watching, give it a try.

Do you like the WBC?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Comments

7 Responses to “Thumbs up to the WBC”

1. fp says:

I don’t have a TV, so I haven’t been following too closely, but I’ve been checking in on the brackets and it’s hard not to root for the Netherlands after they beat the Dominicans twice. I’ll be a bit more conflicted in round 2 when the Dutch will compete against the US as well as Jonathan Sanchez and the Puerto Ricans.

2. fp says:

Oh, and it’s a shame that we won’t get to see Nate Schierholtz face some Chinese pitchers (and catchers) again!

3. Rex Hudler AKA "Hud" AKA "Wonderdog" says:

Who in the hell doesn’t have a TV? And if you don’t have a TV how would you see Schierholtz face anyone?

4. Oakland Sí says:

I was lucky enough to attend some of the 2006 WBC games iin Puerto Rico — and just loved the experience. I’ve watched a few games this time and have really enjoyed it as well.

I agree that the timing isn’t great, but there really is no perfect time of the year, so having it once every three years is reasonable.

Too bad if US baseball fans aren’t watching it more…it’s certainly a big deal internationally.

5. daveinsm says:

I’ll be going to the wbc finals down here in LA (3/23)

it should be a great game

6. Rex Hudler AKA "Hud" AKA "Wonderdog" says:

So what does the winner of the WBC even get? A trophy? Bragging rights? It doesn’t even mean anything, especially since the teams don’t have their country’s best players on the roster.

7. fp says:

Rex, I’ve got broadband and flash, so for most shows I don’t really need a TV. For baseball games during the season, I have to stick to radio, mlb.com clips or actually going to the park.