Posted By Jeff Fletcher on March 13, 2009 11:07 am
It’s always cool to get to see a new ballpark each spring. This morning I’m at Goodyear Ballpark, the new home of the Indians (and next year the Reds, too). The A’s are playing the Indians today.
Before I get into the ballpark ammenities, I have to point out what’s next door. It’s an airplane graveyard. There are at least two of these in Arizona. It’s pretty neat…
Anyway, so far the ballpark gets a big thumbs up from me. It’s got a really plush press box, with lots of big comfy chairs and couches in the lobby. The only weird thing is that the actual complex where the Indians work out and have their clubhouse is about a half-mile away, so they apparently shuttle the players back and forth. That seems kind of inconvenient.
I’m sitting here right now next to Susan Slusser of the Chronicle, who really wanted to be mentioned in my blog. So there ya go, Susan.
On to the baseball stuff…
- Orlando Cabrera is going to make his A’s debut as the DH on Saturday. Nomar could play a few days later.
- Eric Chavez (shoulder) is expected to attempt throwing on Saturday. It will be the first time since he was shut down on Monday. He’s not going to hit just yet.
- The countown is on for Justin Duchscherer. Bob Geren said if Duchscherer (elbow) is going to be able to be ready for opening day, he’s got to be on a mound by Sunday or Monday. Presumably, it would be five days after that to get him ready for the first turn through the rotation. Duchscherer is medically cleared and he’s been playing long-toss, but it’s still tough to say either way if he’ll start on the DL. History says the safe bet is probably that he will.
- Daric Barton (hip) said he is expecting to appear in a game early next week. (I just mistyped “hope” instead of “hip.” Freudian slip?)
- Javier Herrera was optioned to Triple A.
- Lew Wolff put out a statement this morning about the A’s attempts to build a new ballpark. Long story short, it ain’t gonna be in Oakland. I think we knew that already.
That’s all from here, be sure to check back in about an hour for my chat!