Chavez to “start from scratch”

Posted By on March 10, 2009 11:04 am

Eric Chavez said this morning that he’s going to take it slow as he tries to get back on track after the setback in his rehab from shoulder surgery.

“The big thing is getting pain free and then kind of starting over slow,” Chavez said. “Take five swings. How does that feel? Take 10 throws. How does that feel? We have to start from scratch a little bit.”

Chavez was supposed to make his spring debut at third on Monday, but he was scratched because he felt some pain his shoulder. This morning he didn’t sound too down about it. To me it sounded like he wants to go as slow and be as careful as possible this spring. If that means going into opening day without much spring training, so be it.

“Both (hitting and fielding) will be easy for me if I feel good,” he said. “If my shoulder feels good I’ll be able to hit. I’m not worried about putting up huge numbers. I’m worried about feeling good at the plate and taking good swings. Physically, I need to be healthy to do that.”

The other news from Phoenix this morning is that Billy Beane said Orlando Cabrera and Nomar Garciaparra won’t be playing for a while.

“We’re going to take our time with them,” Beane said. “It could be another 10 days before they get in a game. When they say they are ready, we’ll probably wait a little bit longer after that. Both of them have been around long enough that they probably think spring training is too long anyway.”

Both players saw live pitching for the first time this morning, standing in against rehabbing Henry Rodriguez. Cabrera watched about six pitches and then headed for the clubhouse. Garciaparra actually took some hacks.

Comments

7 Responses to “Chavez to “start from scratch””

1. Brad Jensen says:

I just don’t think this guy is ever going to be right again and his career will be over shortly unless he can find a way to stay healthy enough to hit and land a DH job.

You certainly have to admire him for everything he’s done to get back on the field and for putting aside offensive concerns and contributing defensively when he was clearly hurting but its getting close to the time to cut ties with him.

It doesn’t seem so long ago that there was talk of HOF with him.

2. Chainsaw says:

Enough with the A’s posts, it’s hard to imagine a team being less interesting. Here’s just a sampling of things the non-compelling things about the A’s:

- Chavez for starters. I mean, how much longer do we have to hear about his injury problems?
    - Almost all their players look the same and have for years. How many average-looking white guys can they find? They might want to mix in some diversity at some point (and to beat you to the punch, yes I realize they just signed Nomar & Cabrera and have R. Davis & Chavez)
    - Ok, we get it, Billy Beane is clever and thinks differently than other GMs. But when your team’s GM is the most appealing/flamboyant thing about that team, that may be a good indicator that it’s time to look for a new team to root for.
    - Their stadium…it just sucks the energy out of you. Here’s an idea – maybe reduce some of the foul territory to improve the viewing experience for the fans…just a thought.
    - The food at the stadium. When I’d rather eat anything served at Candlestick than at the A’s stadium, you know the food there is bad.
    - The fans in general but especially anyone of them who brings one of those airhorns to a game and the morons who bang the drum in the outfield.
    - Ray Fosse…I was going to say that it’s too bad that Rose didn’t lower his shoulder into Fosse’s larynx but that might be a bit harsh…wait, no it isn’t.

3. gusanoquemador says:

Keep the A’s posts coming. It’s the only thing worth reading.

You don’t have to imagine anything. Just take a look at the team across the bay if you want boring:
    -They are old
    -They have zero offense
    -The GM has no guts whatsoever, caving into ownership to go sign popular & trendy players for a fortune. They might have personality, but they have no talent.
    -The fans are the WORST. And that’s what a glitzy stadium will do – attract all the riff raff who go to the stadium for social hour and garlic fries instead of watching baseball.

4. Marvin says:

I think the food at the phone park is better than across the Bay. I will make no comments about the teams on the field or the fans in the stands or the birds that fill the other seats.

5. Jeffrey August says:

I love stupid pissing matches about who is better. It’s fun.

6. Brad Jensen says:

Me too. Fact of the matter is they both sucked last year so talking about who sucked less is pretty silly.

7. Undeniably imagine that that you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to understand of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed whilst folks consider worries that they
    plainly do not recognise about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the
    whole thing without having side effect , other people could take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Here is my blog make money at home